Have you ever needed to tighten security within GP so your end users cannot access your vendor’s EFT bank information? No need for a fancy customization! It’s all available to you within GP with Field Level Security. In just a few steps, you can setup security to the EFT Bank button on the Vendor Address Maintenance window so when a user clicks on the button they will be prompted with a pop-up window to enter a password.
The user will not be able to proceed to the vendor’s EFT Bank information until they enter the correct password:
Here are the steps for setting this functionality up:
- Navigate to Administration > Setup > System > Field Level Security
- Click on Add
- Enter a Field Security ID and Description.
- The Product information will be blank when you initially set up this window. Click on the lookup next to Product Name.
- Locate Microsoft Dynamics GP from the column on the left and expand the plus sign.
- Expand the plus sign next to the Purchasing folder.
- Locate Vendor Address Maintenance on the list.
- Click the plus sign next to Vendor Address Maintenance
- Click on Main: Vendor Address Maintenance
- From the column on the right, locate Bank Button and click on it.
- Click the OK button to close the window.
- From the Security Mode drop-down list, select which option best suites your business needs. In this example, Password Before was chosen.
- In the Password ID field, select an existing password id or create a new one.
- If you’re setting up a new password you’ll be prompted to add it. Click Add.
- Enter a Description and enter the password you’d like to assign to this function.
- Click Save.
- Click Save when finished.
- Mark the checkbox next to the new Field Security ID.
- Under the column on the right, mark the checkbox next to the Companies that you’d like to assign this security to.
- Under the column on the left, mark the checkbox next to the Users that you’d like to assign this security to. (Note: You will more than likely want to assign this to ALL users & only provide the password to the users who are granted access to the field.)
- Click the Apply button and OK to close the window.
- Now when you access the Vendor Address Maintenance window and click on the EFT Bank button, the users and companies you assigned in steps 19 and 20 will be prompted with the password window.
- Once the correct password is entered, click on the EFT Bank button again and the Vendor EFT Bank Maintenance window will open.
Now that you’ve discovered Field Level Security in GP, imagine the possibilities! Want to learn more tips and tricks like this in Dynamics GP? Contact FMT Consultants by filling out the form below.