5 Steps for Using Drag and Drop Capabilities in NetSuite
There are many instances where having the ability to simply drag and drop a file onto a record or transaction can be of great benefit.
For example, let’s say there is a business that requires a signed customer agreement for every new customer. Every time they receive a signed agreement, the company will have to save a file on their server, browse to locate the corresponding customer file, and re-save the file within that customer file.
In a case such as this, it would be a huge time saver if they had the ability to simply drag and drop that file onto the customer record.
In this blog, we’ll show you how you can set up drag and drop capabilities for your NetSuite records.
Step 1: Install the Bundle
File Drag and Drop is available as a SuiteApp and can be located by following these steps:
- Navigate to Customization > Suite Bundler > Search and Install Bundles.
- In the keyword text box type the Bundle ID, which is 41309.
- Click File Drag and Drop and follow the setup instructions.
Step 2: Configure Drag and Drop
Once you have installed the bundle you will need to configure the drag and drop by doing a couple of things:
- Enable the functionality.
- Select or set up the destination files you’ll use to store your documents.
- Select the records you would like to allow drag and drop to function within.
The drag and drop bundle has an easy set up assistant that will help you complete these steps, but we’ll go through each part in the sections below.
Step 3: Enable the Functionality
- Navigate to your preferences by clicking the home button and selecting set preferences, then click custom preferences.
- Make sure enable drag and drop is marked, if not mark it.
- Click save.
Step 4: Set Up the Destination Files within the File Cabinet
The rest of the steps are done within the Drag and Drop Set Up Assistant, see the steps below to complete the setup.
- Navigate to Setup > Customization > Drag and Drop Setup Assistant.
- Decide whether or not you would like to set up a global folder destination.
Using a global folder destination means that you will store all your files that are “dropped” in the same folder, regardless of what record you are dropping them on. If you choose to use this option, you will need to click the textbox and select or create the global folder you want to use.
If you choose not to use this option, you will need to select or create a folder each time you enable the drag and drop on a record type. We’ll explain how to do this in the next step.
- Click Save and Next.
Step 5: Enable the Drag and Drop on the Specific Records
The drag and drop functionality needs to be set up on each record in which you would like to use it.
The steps below will give you an example of how to add the Drag and Drop functionality to a customer record.
- Click New File Drag and Drop Record Type.
- From the Record Type drop-down select the record you would like to add the functionality to, in this case, Customer.
- Select or create the folder you would like to store the documents within the filing cabinet.
- Click Save and then Next.
Once you have completed this setup, you can then navigate to the customer record to test the drag and drop. Please note the drag and drop will only work when you edit the record.
Once you edit the record you will see the drag and drop area on the top right. When you drop a document in this area it will automatically save the file you specified to the customer record, as well as in the Communication tab under the subheading files.
Drag and drop can be a very useful and time-saving tool, I hope this blog helps you save a little time!
If you have questions about using Drag and Drop with your NetSuite records, or you’d like to know how to further customize NetSuite for your business needs, feel free to reach out to us using the form below. We’d love to help!